Princeton University Library Catalog
- English, Middle (1100-1500)
- [England] : [producer not identified], [between 1475 and 1500]
- 1 volume (ii, 15, ii leaves) : parchment, illustrations ; 12 cm
- Related name
- Title from printed catalog.
- Script: Textualis semi-quadrata.
- Decoration: There are 36 illustrations in dark red, reddish brown, pink, teal blue, green, and white. Four of the drawings occupy full pages (fols. 1r, 13r, 14r, 15r), while the rest are smaller. Most are in a frame of two brown lines.
- Binding note
- England, mid-19th century. Red morocco over pasteboard; gilt, with marbled endpapers. Spine title (gilt): “METRICAL PRAYERS. XV CENT.”
- Taylor MS. 17 is of unknown early provenance. The manuscript is one of the few arma Christi manuscripts in codex (rather than roll) format. Textually, it resembles the second part (fols. 54v-80v) of Oxford, Bodleian Library, Douce MS. 1 (SC 21575), which perhaps dates from around 1460. At a unknown date, the American antiquarian bookseller Laurence C. Witten (1926-1995), of New Haven, Connecticut, acquired the manuscript and sold it on 11 April 1983 to Robert H. Taylor (1908-1985), of Princeton, New Jersey, Class of 1930. His bequest to the Princeton University Library, 1985.
- Source acquisition
- Gift of Robert H. Taylor, 1985.
- Medieval & Renaissance manuscripts in the Princeton University Library, volume 1, pages 440-442.
- Cite as
- Taylor MS. 17, Manuscripts Division, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library.
- Other views