Princeton University Library Catalog
- Rogers, Kory W. [Browse]
- New York, N.Y. : Skira Rizzoli Publications ; Shelburne, VT : Shelburne Museum, 2017.
- 176 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 26 x 29 cm
- Related name
- Summary note
- Bird decoys were used for hunting in North America until the advent of hunting regulations in the early twentieth century, when decoys started to be prized and collected as masterpieces of American folk art. This handsome book is the first examination of the historic and unparalleled decoy collection at Shelburne Museum. Featuring new photography of 250 of the museum's most important and artistically carved decoys, it includes examples made by the most respected American carvers: Charles Osgood, Lem and Steve Ward, John Blair, Bill Bowman, Nathan Cobb, Jr., Lee Dudley, James Holly, Jr., Nathan Horner, Albert Laing, Joseph Lincoln, A. Elmer Crowell, and Charles Shang Wheeler. The story of the collection begins with Joel Barber, the pioneer decoy enthusiast and New York architect, artist, and carver, whose gift of 400 superior examples established the collection in 1952. Several essays provide groundbreaking scholarship on the origins, construction, and attribution of bird decoys, imparting critical advancements to our modern understanding of this revered tradition.00Exhibition: Shelburne Museum, Shelburne, USA (21.11.2015 - 19.06.2016).
- Bibliographic references
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The most susceptible bird : Joel Barber, decoy collector, historian, and carver / Kory W. Rogers -- American decoys : an artful deception / Cynthia Byrd -- Decoys inside and out / Nancie Ravenel -- Catalogue. Ducks ; Shorebirds ; Geese and brants ; Confidence birds.
- 9780847860609 ((hc))
- 9780847860616 ((sc))
- 0847860612 ((sc))
- C - S
|In Library Use Only