Princeton University Library Catalog
- Los Angeles : Fowler Museum at UCLA, 
- 302 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 31 cm.
- Issuing body
- Exhibition catalogs
- Exhibition catalog of a traveling exhibition of the same name.
- Bibliographic references
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 287-293) and index.
- Foreword / Marla C. Berns -- Acknowledgments / Suzanne Gott, Kristyne S. Loughran, Betsy D. Quick, and Leslie W. Rabine -- Notes on fashioning art across Africa / John Picton -- Introducing African-print fashion / Suzanne Gott and Kristyne S. Loughran -- Part I. African-print cloth: origins and transformations -- Dutch wax classics: the designs introduced by Ebenezer Brown Fleming circa 1890-1912 and their legacy / Helen Elands -- Interleaf A. Design at Vlisco / M. Amah Edoh -- Interleaf B. Designing for wax prints at ABC / Helen Elands -- African prints/African ownership: on naming, values, and classics / Kathleen Bickford Berzock -- Interleaf C. African prints made in Europe / Betsy D. Quick -- "Bringing fabrics to life": Akosombo Textiles Limited of Ghana / Stephan F. Miescher -- Interleaf D. African prints made in Africa / Suzanne Gott -- Interleaf E. African-prints in Abidjan: a success story / Anne Grosfilley -- Real/Fake: brands, labels, and China in West Africa / Nina Sylvanus -- Interleaf F. African prints made in Asia: China, India, and Pakistan / Leslie W. Rabine -- Part II. Fashioning identities, expanding styles -- Portraits in print / Leslie W. Rabine -- "Life" dressing in Kumasi: African-print style in "popular" fashion / Suzanne Gott -- Interleaf G. Nsaasaawa: Ghanaian patchwork from the kitchen to the catwalk / Boatema Boateng -- Interleaf H. From grandmother's dress to the fashion runway: Chitenge styles in Zambia / Karen Tranberg Hansen -- Ankara fashions in Nigeria / Elisha P. Renne -- Interleaf I. Shopping in Abidjan with Saundra Lang / Leslie W. Rabine -- Voices on the runway: African prints and African fashion designers / Kristyne S. Loughran -- Interleaf J. Claire Kane Guaranteed Wax Collection and the photography of Omar Victor Diop / Ken Aïcha Sy -- Part III. New directions -- Vlisco; rebranding into fashion / Suzanne Gott and Kristyne S. Loughran -- Interleaf K. Re-dressing the past: Vlisco's entry into post-apartheid South Africa / Sandra Klopper -- Designing futures: virtual communities and fashion weeks push African-print fashion forward / Helen Jennings -- Interleaf L. The eternal return of fashion: Angelina, the Dashiki, and twenty-first-century African fashion / Leslie W. Rabine -- From colonialism to hip-hop style: African-print fashion in Senegal / Leslie W. Rabine -- In the making: African-print fashion and contemporary art / Hansi Momodu-Gordon -- Afterword: cloth, dress, and drama / Victoria L. Rovine.
- 9780990762638 (paperback)
- 0990762637 (paperback)
- C - S
|In Library Use Only