Princeton University Library Catalog
- Washington, D.C. : World Bank, c2005.
- xiv, 350 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Related name
- Summary note
- "In At the Frontlines of Development: Reflections from the World Bank, former World Bank country directors recount their experiences, both as managers of the World Bank's portfolio in global economic hotspots of the 1990s as well as throughout their careers in development economics. These essays detail, among many stories of development in the 1990s, how China and India lifted hundreds of millions out of poverty, while Russia collapsed; how Bosnia and Herzegovina and Mozambique remade their war-ravaged economies; and how Thailand, Turkey, and Argentina fell into financial crisis. These remarkable stories, told in first-person by the country directors who were there to witness them, provide candid assessments of development in the 1990s - what succeeded, what failed, and what lessons emerged."--BOOK JACKET.
- Bibliographic references
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 339-343) and index.
- Foreword / Gobind Nankani and James W. Adams -- 1. Introduction : policies, politics, and principles : three hundred years of World Bank experience / Indermit S. Gill and Todd Pugatch -- 2. Armenia, the Baltic States, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, and the Ukraine (1993-97) and Poland and the Baltic States (1997-2000) : pictures and lessons of development practice / Basil Kavalsky -- 3. Mozambique and Zambia (1996-2000) : a little luck and a lot of trust : aid relationships and reform in Southern Africa / Phyllis Pomerantz -- 4. Brazil (1997-2001) : acting strategically and building trust : reflections on Brazil / Gobind Nankani -- 5. China (chief of mission, 1985-1990) and India (1997-2002) : learning and working with the giants / Edwin Lim -- 6. China (1987-1994) : World Bank operations : some impressions and lessons / Shahid Javed Burki -- 7. Russian federation and the former Soviet Union (1992-1997) and China (1997-2004) : on good policies and great men : reflections on China and Russia / Yukon Huang -- 8. Western Africa (1992-1996) and Mexico (1996-2000) : lessons of the 1990s : a personal account / Olivier Lafourcade -- 9. Balkan States (1997-2002) : leadership, learning, and luck : reflections on the Balkan States / Christiaan Poortman -- 10. Turkey (1997-2003) : Turkey's tumult : lessons from crisis and institutional reform / Ajay Chhibber -- 11. Middle East (1995-2001) : reflections on development / Inder Sud -- 12. Tanzania and Uganda (1995-2002) : the right approach to the right policies : reflections on Tanzania / James W. Adams -- 13. Argentina (1997-2002) : a practitioner's perspective of the 1990s : the case of Argentina / Myrna Alexander -- 14. Thailand (1997-2001) : bank engagement in a country : a practitioner's view / Jayasankar Shivakumar.
- 0821360418 (pbk.)
- C - O