Princeton University Library Catalog
- New York : Springer, c2008.
- xxii, 754 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Related name
- Summary note
- "Public Health Aspects of HIV/AIDS in Low and Middle Income Countries brings a comprehensive world context to the pandemic, tracking epidemiological trends, correcting misperceptions, and examining the impact of local, government, and international responses in countries as disparate as Brazil, Nigeria, the Russian Federation, and India. A top panel of local and regional experts offers the latest data on infection rates, details on risk-reduction and care programs, analysis of evolving social attitudes regarding HIV, and prospects for new initiatives in prevention and treatment." "Public Health Aspects of HIV/AIDS in Low- and Middle-Income Countries is the primer for researchers, practitioners, specialists, and students in HIV/AIDS, global health, and public health and policy. This mission-defining volume needs to be read by all those working to eradicate this devastating epidemic."--BOOK JACKET.
- Bibliographic references
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Epidemiology of HIV/AIDS in low and middle income countries : where global AIDS is and where it is going / David D. Celentano, Wendy W. Davis and Chris Beyrer -- 2. HIV prevention needs : primary prevention and prevention for people living with HIV/AIDS / Nalini Tarakeshwar, Seth C. Kalichman, Leickness C. Simbayi and Kathleen J. Sikkema -- 3. Future of HIV/AIDS care in low- and middle-income countries / Christopher J. Hoffmann, Lisa A. Mills and Joel E. Gallant -- 4. HIV/AIDS care : the minimum package and scaling up / Joia Mukherjee -- 5. HIV/AIDS vaccine research / Ruanne V. Barnabas, Ann C. Duerr and Judith N. Wasserheit -- 6. Microbicide development / Ian McGowan -- 7. How the pandemic shapes the public health response - the case of HIV/AIDS in Brazil / Jane Galvao, Paulo Roberto Teixeira, Marco Vitoria and Mauro Schechter -- 8. Advocacy, activism, community and the AIDS response in Africa / Emily Bass, Gregg Gonsalves and Milly Katana -- 9. Political challenges to mounting and sustaining a public health response to HIV/AIDS in developing countries / Judith D. Auerbach and Courtney Mulhern-Pearson -- 10. The HIV/AIDS epidemics of Africa / Chris Beyrer, Wendy W. Davis and David D. Celentano -- 11. The situation in the cradle of AIDS : Congo and Central Africa / Marie Laga, Richard Matendo and Ann Buve -- 12. Public health aspects of HIV/AIDS - Nigeria and West Africa / William Blattner, Patrick Dakum, Babatunde Osotimehin, Abdulsalam Nasidi and Alash\u0027le Abimiku -- 13. East Africa - Kenya, Tanzania & Uganda / Helen Weiss, Corinne Merle, David Serwadda and Saidi Kapiga -- 14. Southern Africa (South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zimbabwe) / James Alasdair McIntyre, Guy de Bruyn and Glenda Elisabeth Gray -- 15. HIV/AIDS in the Horn of Africa / Nicole Simmons, Yigeremu Abebe-Asemere, Achamyelesh Debela and Dawit Wolday -- 16. HIV/AIDS in South and Southeast Asia : an overview / David D. Celentano, Chris Beyrer and Wendy W. Davis -- 17. China / Zunyou Wu, Sheena G. Sullivan and Wendy W. Davis -- 18. The HIV/AIDS epidemic in Thailand - the first two decades / Suwat Chariyalertsak, Apinun Aramrattana and David D. Celentano -- 19. HIV AIDS in Burma : public health constrained / Chris Beyrer, Voravit Suwanvanichkij, Nicole Franck Masenior and Thaung Htun -- 20. The HIV epidemic in Vietnam : past, present, and opportunities / Vu Minh Quan, Nguyen Tran Hien and Vivian F. Go -- 21. Malaysia / Adeeba Kamarulzaman and Karina Razali -- 22. Towards equitable and quality HIV prevention and care services : assessing the situation in India / Suniti Solomon, Sudha Sivaram and Sunil Solomon -- 23. The HIV/AIDS epidemics in the former Soviet Union, Central Asia, and Iran / Chris Beyrer, Wendy W. Davis and David D. Celentano -- 24. Russian Federation / Anjali Sharma, Dmitry Lioznov and Jack A. DeHovitz -- 25. HIV in Central Asia : Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan / Daniel Wolfe, Richard Elovich, Azizbek Boltaev and Dilshod Pulatov -- 26. Drug abuse and HIV transmission in Iran - responding to the public health challenges / Azarakhsh Mokri and Richard Schottenfeld -- 27. The HIV/AIDS epidemics of the Americas / David D. Celentano, Chris Beyrer, Wendy W. Davis and Carlos del Rio -- 28. Epidemiology, prevention and care of HIV in Peru / Kelika Konda, Carlos F. Caceres and Thomas J. Coates -- 29. AIDS in Brazil : the challenge and the response / Francisco I. Bastos, Amy Nunn, Mariana A. Hacker, Monica Malta and Celia L. Szwarcwald -- 30. The state of HIV/AIDS in the Dominican Republic : guarded optimism amidst sustainability concerns / Deanna Kerrigan, Clare Barrington and Luis Moreno Montalvo -- 31. Public health aspects of HIV/AIDS in Haiti : epidemiology, prevention and cure / Serena Koenig, Fernet Leandre, Dan Fitzgerald, Paul Farmer, Joia Mukherjee, Warren Johnson and Jean William Pape -- 32. HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment and care : present status, future needs and some possible solutions / David D. Celentano, Wendy W. Davis and Chris Beyrer.
- 9780387727103 (hbk.)
- 0387727108 (hbk.)
- C - S