Princeton University Library Catalog
- James, Liz [Browse]
- Cambirdge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY, USA : Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- xxviii, 623 pages : color illustrations, maps ; 29 cm
- Mosaics, Medieval [Browse]
- Summary note
- "Part One deals with the making of wall and vault mosaics. It falls into four chapters which cover the different production stages, from the making of glass and of mosaics to what we can deduce about artists and costs, and what can be said about the value of mosaics. These are all aspects of mosaic-making that matter, because the appearance of a mosaic was governed not only by the artist's skill and choices but also by the materials the artist had available to work with. If a particular colour could not be made or bought, or if the supply ran short, then it could not be used in a mosaic. So much of what is actually on the wall was governed by this very simple rule of thumb"-- Provided by publisher.
- Bibliographic references
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Making wall mosaics -- Mosaics by century.
- 9781107011984 (hardcover)
- 1107011981 (hardcover)
- Other standard number
- C - S
|In Library Use Only