Princeton University Library Catalog
- New York : Guilford, 2010.
- xiii, 336 p. ; 24 cm.
- Related name
- Social, emotional, and personality development in context. [More in this series]
- Summary note
- "While both positive and negative peer interactions have long been a focus of scientific interest, much less attention has been given to children who tend to refrain from interacting with others. What are the causes of shyness and social withdrawal? How do they affect development? Do solitary preschoolers grow up to be anxious adolescents? Addressing these and other critical questions, this volume brings together leading experts to present the latest ideas, findings, and applications in this growing area of research."--BOOK JACKET.
- Bibliographic references
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- I. Introduction -- 1. Social Withdrawal and Shyness in Childhood: History, Theories, Definitions, and Assessments / Robert J. Coplan and Kenneth H. Rubin -- II. Constructs and Conceptual Approaches -- 2. Understanding Shyness: Four Questions and Four Decades of Research / Louis A. Schmidt and Arnold H. Buss -- 3. Shyness and the Development of Embarrassment and the Self-Conscious Emotions / W. Ray Crozier -- 4. Unsociability and the Preference for Solitude in Childhood / Robert J. Coplan and Murray Weeks -- 5. Biological Moderators of Infant Temperament and Its Relation to Social Withdrawal / Nathan A. Fox and Bethany C. Reeb-Sutherland -- III. Personal and Interpersonal Processes -- 6. Shyness. Parenting, and Parent-Child Relationships / Paul D. Hastings, Jacob N. Nuselovici, Kenneth H. Rubin and Charissa S. L. Cheah -- 7. Social Withdrawal in Childhood and Adolescence: Peer Relationships and Social Competence / Kenneth H. Rubin, Julie Bowker and Heidi Gazelle -- 8. Long-Term Development of Shyness: Looking Forward and Looking Backward / Jens B. Asendorpf -- IV. Contexts -- 9. Language Performance, Academic Performance, and Signs of Shyness: A Comprehensive Review / Mary Ann Evans -- 10. Shyness-Inhibition in Childhood and Adolescence: A Cross-Cultural Perspective / Xinyin Chen -- 11. Electronic Communication: Escape Mechanism or Relationship-Building Tool for Shy, Withdrawn Children and Adolescents? / Barry H. Schneider and Yair Amichai-Hamburger -- 12. "Once Upon a Time There Were a Blushful Hippo and a Meek Mouse": A Content Analysis of Shy Characters in Young Children's Storybooks / Robert J. Coplan, Kathleen Hughes and Hilary Claire Rowsell -- V. Clinical Research, Practice, and Treatment -- 13. Temperament and the Etiology of Social Phobia / Ronald M. Rapee -- 14. Treating Social Anxiety in Youth / Matthew P. Mychailyszyn, Jeremy S. Cohen, Julie M. Edmunds, Sarah A. Crawley and Philip C. Kendall.
- 9781606235225 (hbk.)
- 1606235222 (hbk.)
- C - S