Princeton University Library Catalog
- Thorofare, NJ : SLACK Inc., c2010.
- xv, 264 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Related name
- Summary note
- "Cultural Competence: A Lifelong Journey to Cultural Proficiency provides a comprehensive, theoretical and practical approach to increasing knowledge and awareness, improving attitudes, and providing the necessary skills for practicing cultural competence each day." "Dr. Ronnie Leavitt, along with a group of contributors with a range of backgrounds, both in physical therapy and the social sciences, provides an evidence-based text looking to explore practical applications in a wide array of settings. Cultural Competence addresses cultural competence by discussing the special considerations one needs to learn about rather than specific population groups. Also discussed is how different theorists describe cultural competence, as well as methods of measuring cultural competence and government policies regarding cultural competence."--BOOK JACKET.
- Bibliographic references
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Ch. 1. Introduction to Cultural Competence / Ronnie Leavitt -- Ch. 2. Understanding the Nature of Culture / Christine A. Loveland -- Ch. 3. The Historical Development of Theory, Models, and Assessment Tools / Ronnie Leavitt -- Ch. 4. Exploring Cultural Diversity: Eliciting a Client's Ethnography / Ronnie Leavitt -- Ch. 5. Disability Across Cultures / Ronnie Leavitt and Susan E. Roush -- Ch. 6. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Status, Health Care, and Physical Therapy / Kristin Lefebvre and Jill Black Lattanzi -- Ch. 7. Poverty and Health: Social Status Differences in Leading Health Indicators / Rebecca Reviere and Valerie R. Stackman -- Ch. 8. Understanding Racism / Joseph W. Smey -- Ch. 9. Cross-Cultural Communication / Helen L. Masin -- Ch. 10. Developing Cultural Competence Through Service Learning / Pamela J. Reynolds -- Ch. 11. Physical Therapy and Cultural Competence in the Global Community: Moving from a Bio-Medical to a Social Justice Model / Ronnie Leavitt -- Ch. 12. The Practice of Cultural Competence in the 21st Century / Ronnie Leavitt -- Appendix A. Resources for Additional Information on Cultures Outside of the United States -- Appendix B. Resources for Physical Therapists Interested in Global Health -- Appendix C. Resources for Establishing a Culturally Competent Practice.
- 9781556428760 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1556428766 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- C - S