Princeton University Library Catalog
- Bloomington : Indiana University Press, c2007.
- xii, 259 p. ; 25 cm.
- Related name
- Bioethics and the humanities. [More in this series]
- Bibliographic references
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : the knowledge tree and its double fruit / William R. LaFleur -- Pt. 1. The gruesome past and lessons not yet learned -- 1. Rationalizing unethical medical research : taking seriously the case of Viktor von Weizsacker / Gernot Bohme -- 2. Medical research, morality, and history : the German journal Ethik and the limits of human experimentation / Andreas Frewer -- 3. Experimentation on humans and informed consent : how we arrived where we are / Rolf Winau -- 4. The silence of the scholars / Benno Muller-Hill -- 5. The ethics of evil : the challenge and the lessons of Nazi medical experiments / Arthur L. Caplan -- 6. Unit 731 and the human skulls discovered in 1989 : physicians carrying out organized crimes / Kei-ichi Tsuneishi -- 7. Biohazard : unit 731 in postwar Japanese politics of national "forgetfulness" / Frederick R. Dickinson -- 8. Biological weapons : the United States and the Korean War / G. Cameron Hurst III -- 9. Experimental injury : wound ballistics and aviation medicine in mid-century America / Susan Lindee -- 10. Stumbling toward bioethics : human experiments policy and the early Cold War / Jonathan D. Moreno -- Pt. 2. The conflicted present and the worrisome future -- 11. Toward an ethics of iatrogenesis / Renee C. Fox -- 12. Strategies for survival versus accepting impermanence : rationalizing brain death and organ transplantation today / Tetsuo Yamaori -- 13. The age of a "revolutionized human body" and the right to die / Yoshihiko Komatsu -- 14. Why we must be prudent in research using human embryos : differing views of human dignity / Susumu Shimazono -- 15. Eugenics, reproductive technologies, and feminist dilemma in Japan / Miho Ogino -- 16. Refusing utopia's bait : research, rationalizations, and Hans Jonas / William R. LaFleur.
- 9780253348722 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0253348722 (cloth : alk. paper)
- C - S