Princeton University Library Catalog
- Sudbury, Mass. : Jones and Bartlett Publishers, c2005.
- xxxvii, 450 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Related name
- Summary note
- "Global Public Health Communication: Challenges, Perspectives, and Strategies teaches readers important skills and techniques to communicate public health issues effectively, including: health communication in emergency preparedness; the importance of social marketing techniques; public-private partnerships; building direct links between communication and health service delivery by way of pragmatic strategies; maximizing information reach through interdisciplinary planning; and much more. Global Public Health Communication: Challenges, Perspectives, and Strategies features evidence-based theory, methodology, practice, and evaluation of health communications to help students and public health practitioners build and strengthen their grasp of essential elements."--BOOK JACKET.
- Bibliographic references
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments / Muhiuddin Haider -- Foreword / Thomas W. Merrick -- Introduction : an overview of health communication - utility, value, and challenges / Muhiuddin Haider and Everett M. Rogers -- 1. Diffusion of innovations and FOMENT : a synergistic theoretical framework in health communication / Muhiuddin Haider, Ranjeeta Pal and Sarah Al-Shoura -- 2. Social marketing and its potential contribution to a modern synthesis of social change / William A. Smith -- 3. Push and pull factors in changing health behavior : a theoretical framework / Javed S. Ahmad -- 4. Social change interventions in public health communications / Rachel A. Smith, Kim Witte and C. Kirk Lazell -- 5. Observational research in global health communications / James W. Dearing, William F. Waters and Everett M. Rogers -- 6. Social mobilization as a tool for outreach programs in the HIV/AIDS crisis / Dhaval S. Patel -- 7. Use of social networks in child survival, infectious diseases, and HIV/AIDS / Florence Naluyinda Kitabere -- 8. Sex, soap, and social change : the Sabido methodology / Kriss Barker -- 9. Pre-crisis relationships / Kurt Wise -- 10. Community-assisted marketing strategies / Muhiuddin Haider, Gillian Lyon-Powers and Sarah Al-Shoura -- 11. Reproductive health : a communication challenge in the twenty-first century / Fariyal F. Fikree -- 12. The case of "friends of the pill" : expanding the market for low-dose oral contraceptives in India / Rita Leavall and Anand Verdhan Sinha -- 13. The importance of client-provider interactions : evidence from family planning programs / Elaine Murphy and Kristina Gryboski -- 14. Monitoring reproductive health social marketing programs in developing countries : toward a more strategic approach / Ruth Berg and Dominique Meekers -- 15. Improving program effectiveness through theory, evaluation, and results-oriented approaches : an STI/HIV/AIDS prevention program in the Philippines / Dallas Swendeman, Taigy Thomas, Chi Chiao, Kwa Sey and Donald E. Morisky -- 16. The role of communication in the integrated management of childhood illness : progress, lessons learned, and challenges in Latin America / Rafael Obregon -- 17. Linking communication for campaign and routine immunization : in need of a bifocal view / Silvio Waisbord -- 18. Communication campaigns for chronic and emergency health problems / Leslie B. Snyder and Mark Cistulli -- 19. Communication-for-behavioral-impact (COMBI) : a review of WHO's experiences with strategic social mobilization and communication in the prevention and control of communicable diseases / Elil Rengenathan, Everold Hosein, Will Parks, Linda Lloyd, Mohammad Raili Suhaili and Asiya Odugleh -- 20. State of the art in crisis communication : past lessons and principles of practice / Scott C. Ratzan and Wendy Meltzer -- 21. Emergency/risk communication to promote public health and respond to biological threats / Gary L. Kreps, Kenneth Alibek, Linda Neuhauser, Katherine E. Rowan and Lisa Sparks -- 22. Health communication challenges of an anthrax vaccination program / Skye K. Schulte and J. Gregory Payne -- 23. Cancer communication research for health promotion at the National Cancer Institute : a case study / Gary L. Kreps -- 24. Content analysis of anthrax in the media / Muhiuddin Haider and Nisha P. Aravindakshan -- 25. Developing a theoretical model of rapport building : implications for medical education and the physician-patient relationship / Gretchen R. Norling -- 26. Understanding and challenging HIV stigma : toolkit for action / Sue Clay, Gayle Gibbons, Ross Kidd, Jessie Mbwambo and Anton Schneider -- 27. Epilogue / Muhiuddin Haider and Ranjeeta Pral.
- 0763747769 (pbk.)
- C - S