الجزء الثامن من الربعة الشريفة.

al-Juzʼ al-thāmin min al-rabʻah al-sharīfah.

Uniform title
Format
Book
Language
Arabic
Published/​Created
[Egypt?, between 1400 and 1499?]
Description
1 online resource (50 leaves) : paper, illuminations

Details

Subject(s)
Former owner
Summary note
Illuminated copy of the 8th section of the Qurʼān.
Notes
  • Binding: Brown leather over pasteboard with detached flap (Type II); front and back cover have an intricate mosaic-style blind- and gold-tooled pattern on a large, circular, lobed central medallion, cornerpieces, and frame; flap is gold and blind-tooled in a coordinating pattern with a circular medallion and frame; doublures are block-stamped leather.
  • Decoration: Illuminated title piece in gold and blue (f. 1r); marginal medallions for text divsions in circle, teardrop, and pointed oval shapes in blue, red and gold with blue finials; verse endings marked by an 8-leaf rosette with blue dots around the edge; some alifs in red; sūrah heading in thuluth script set into a blue oval with gold foliate fill all set into a larger rectangle lined with geometric pattern in gold (f. 22r).
  • Donation (waqf) statement added to title page inside title piece (f. 1r).
  • Foliation: Modern foliation added in pencil, upper left recto; no catchwords.
  • Laid, non-European paper; visible chain lines in sets of two.
  • Layout: Written in 5 long lines.
  • Origin: The item is undated and unsigned, but was possibly copied in Mamlūk Egypt in the 15th century, possibly for use in a madrasah.
  • Script: Written in muḥaqqaq in black ink; pointed and vocalized; titles in thuluth.
  • Title from title page (f. 1r).
Location of originals
  • Original Columbia, Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
  • OPenn University of Pennsylvania Libraries.
Location of other archival materials
  • Juzʼ 28 from the same set is Chester Beatty Library 1495.
  • Juzʼ 7 from the same set is British Library Or. 9671.
Language note
Arabic.
Provenance
  • Formerly owned by the Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning (library bookplate, inside front cover).
  • Formerly owned by the Mamlūk Amīr Aytmish al-Bajasī (d. 1400 CE) and given as an endowment (waqf) to the library attached to the mosque he founded in Bāb al-Wazīr, Cairo (founded 1383 CE) (inscription, f. 1r).
Source acquisition
  • <> Rare Ms. 123.
  • Gift of A.S.W. Rosenbach to the library of the Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning (note on library bookplate, inside front cover).
Cite as
CAJS Rar Ms 123.
OCLC
1131863585
Statement on language in description
Princeton University Library aims to describe library materials in a manner that is respectful to the individuals and communities who create, use, and are represented in the collections we manage. Read more...
Other views
Staff view

Supplementary Information