Skip to search
Skip to main content
Title starts with
Author (sorted by title)
Call number (browse)
Princeton University Library Catalog
Galen's epistemology : experience, reason, and method in ancient medicine / edited by R. J. Hankinson and Matyáš Havrda.
Cambridge, UK : Cambridge University Press, 2022.
viii, 325 pages ; 24 cm
Knowledge, Theory of.
Hankinson, R. J.
Havrda, Matyáš, 1972-
Determining what has gone wrong in a malfunctioning body and proposing an effective treatment requires expertise. Since antiquity, philosophers and doctors have wondered what sort of knowledge this expertise involves, and whether and how it can warrant its conclusions. Few people were as qualified to deal with these questions as Galen of Pergamum (129-c.216). A practising doctor with a keen interest in logic and natural science, he devoted much of his enormous literary output to the task of putting medicine on firm methodological grounds. At the same time, he reflected on philosophical issues entailed by this project, such as the nature of experience, its relation to reason, the criteria of truth, and the methods of justification. This volume explores Galen's contributions to (mainly scientific) epistemology, as they arise in the specific inquiries and polemics of this works, as well as their legacy in the Islamic world--back cover.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 290-309) and indexes.
Introduction / R. J. Hankinson and Matyáš Havrda
1. "Do I wake or sleep?': Galen, scepticism, and dreams / Jonathan Barnes
2. Galen's empiricist background: a study of the argument in On Medical Experience / Inna Kupreeva
3. Discovery, method, and justification: Galen and the determination of therapy / R. J. Hankinson
4. From problems to demonstrations: two case studies of Galen's method / Matyáš Havrda
5. Galen's notion of dialectic / Teun Tieleman
6. The relationship between perceptual experience and Logos: Galen's clinical perspective / P.N. Singer
7. Galen against Archigenes on the pulse and what it teaches us about Galen's method of Diairesis / Orly Lewis
8. On sense-perception: Galen in dialogue with Plato and the Stoics / Katerina Ierodiakonou
9. Reason and experience in Galen's moral epistemology / David Kaufman
10. The Arabic Alexandrian's Summary of Galen's On the Therapeutic Method / Elvira Wakelnig
11. What level of certainty can medical sign-inference reach? A discussion of Galen's demonstrative method in the Islamic world / Pauline Koetschet.
Show 9 more Contents items
Statement on language in description
Princeton University Library aims to describe library materials in a manner that is respectful to the individuals and communities who create, use, and are represented in the collections we manage.
Ask a Question
Suggest a Correction
Report Harmful Language
Galen's epistemology : experience, reason, and method in ancient medicine / edited by R. J. Hankinson, Matyáš Havrda.