Cronica Venetiarum / Benintendi Cancellarium.

Author
Ravignani, Benintendi, approximately 1317-approximately 1360 [Browse]
Format
Manuscript, Book
Language
Latin
Published/​Created
[Italy], [between 1350 and 1400]
Description
19 leaves : parchment, illustrations ; 265 x 187 (170 x 120) mm bound to 277 x 192 mm.

Details

Subject(s)
Former owner
Donor
Bookseller
Rare books genre
Getty AAT genre
Contains
Summary note
Venetian chronicle. The chronicle is a brief paraphrase or abridgment of a portion of Andrea Dandolo’s Chronica per extensum descripta or Cronica Estesa and far more detailed than the Andrea Dandolo’s own Chronica brevis.
Notes
  • Incipit: “Cronica Venetiarum secundum Benintendi Cancellarium eius. Ihesus dominus deus noster quaque in re pro fundamento suscipitur necesse est ibi bonorum operum edificium subsequatur. Nec est admirabile iudicandum si de sanctorum uirorum piis ex causis cumulatio consortio gloriosi fructus et uberes in odorem suauitatis prouenisse cernuntur…”
  • Explicit: “Qui in domo propria ultra riuum ex palacii opposito habitans destructas ecclesias et palatium renouare curauit. Hic habuit coniugem Feliciam nominem que unicum”
  • Ms. codex.
  • Title from caption (fol. 1r).
  • A few contemporary corrections and annotations; marginal note in later humanistic hand on fol. 8v.
  • Collation: Parchment ; fol. iii + 19 + 11 ; 1–28, 34–1 (leaf 4 cancelled). Stubs from flyleaves are wrapped around quires 1 and 3, after fol. 8v and before fol. 17 ; in the 18th century, the manuscript was misfoliated in ink ; modern foliation in pencil.
  • Layout: 32 long lines per page ; ruled in leadpoint with single vertical bounding lines, horizontals very faint and do not extend beyond verticals.
  • Description: Written in brown-black ink.
  • Decoration: Text opens on fol. 1r with a 5-line gold initial I enclosing the bust of a saint (Mark?), with nimbus, dressed in red cloak over a green robe; three-quarter foliate border with light and dark blue, rose, pink, green, and orange-red, encircling an erased heraldic shield in the upper margin. Plain 2-line initials alternating between red and blue; some paragraph marks, alternatively red and blue.
  • Origin: Produced in Venice in the second half of the 14th century.
Binding note
Italy (Venice), late 15th century. Brown calf over beveled wooden boards (4-5 mm thick). Blind-stamped and blind-tooled design on covers. Remnants of 4 clasps and leather strips on top, bottom, and edge.
Language note
Latin;
Script
Textualis rotunda.
Provenance
The erased heraldic shield on fol. 1r was described by de Ricci in 1935 as possibly being for the Baldovino family of Venice (de gules aigle d'or). Owned by: Abate Matteo Luigi Canonici, S.J. (1727–1805); purchased in 1835 by Rev. Walter Sneyd (1809–1888); Sotheby's sold from Sneyd's collection in 1903 to Charles William Dyson Perrins (1864–1958); sold from Perrins through Sotheby's in 1907 to the London booksellers Ellis; purchased by William Harris Arnold (1854–1923); sold from Arnold's collection to the New York bookseller Ernest Dressel North; purchased from North in 1924 by Robert Garrett (1875-1961). Garrett's gift to the Princeton University Library, 1942.
Source acquisition
Gift Robert Garrett, Princeton Class of 1897, 1942.
References
Medieval & Renaissance manuscripts in the Princeton University Library, volume 1, pages 365-366.
Other format(s)
Also available in an electronic version.
Place name(s)
Italy Venice
OCLC
1099504166
Statement on language in description
Princeton University Library aims to describe library materials in a manner that is respectful to the individuals and communities who create, use, and are represented in the collections we manage. Read more...
Other views
Staff view

Supplementary Information