Princeton University Library Catalog
- Rhomberg, Chris, 1959- [Browse]
- New York : Russell Sage Foundation, c2012.
- x, 387 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Bibliographic references
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Labor Day in America -- Worlds of work: economy and civil society. The industry: Gannett and Knight-Ridder -- Detroit: labor and community -- A "daily miracle": the life of the workplace -- The institutional regulation of labor. Proper channels: U.S. labor law and union-management relations -- The path to confrontation: the newspapers' joint operating agreement in Detroit -- Extraordinary measures: planning for war -- War of position: the 1995 contract negotiations -- The spaces of conflict. Worlds collide: the start of the strike -- Law and violence: permanent replacements and the control of collective action -- Theaters of engagement: state and civil society -- Waiting for justice: the return to work and the end of the strike -- Governing the workplace: American labor today. Conclusion: a signal juncture.
- 9780871547170 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0871547171 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781610447751 (ebook)
- 1610447751 (ebook)
- Other views