Fall 2020 Update:
Many Library services are available online. Please visit our
Title starts with
Author (sorted by title)
Call number (browse)
Princeton University Library Catalog
الطب الجديد الكميائي
al-Ṭibb al-jadīd al-kimiyāʼī ... [etc.].
Ḥalabī, Ṣāliḥ Naṣr Allāh ibn Sallūm.
حلبي، صالح نصر الله بن سلوم
[between 164-? and 1696]
Būnī, Aḥmad ibn ʻAlī, -1225.
Shams al-maʻārif wa-laṭāʼif al-ʻawārif.
Jābir ibn Ḥayyān.
بوني، احمد بن علي.
شمس المعارف ولطائف العوارف.
جابر بن حيان.
[Poem in Arabic on alchemy].
Fī bayān al-awzān wa-al-makāʾīl al-mashhūrah al-mustaʻmalah fī kutub al-ṭibb wa-ghayrihā.
al-Ṭibb al-jadīd al-kimiyāʾī.
Risālah al-Zaynīyatah fī ḥall bayt al-Qaṣīdah al-Nūnīyah.
A treatise on Paracelsian medicine, preceded and followed by several folios with notes and excerpts on medicine and alchemy. The copy also contains two sheets of paper with notes.
Title supplied by cataloger, from title of main text.
Physical description: The main text (fol. 21a-102a) is written in a neat medium small naskh in black ink with use of red, with 19 lines per page (written surface: 125 x 65 mm.). European paper with watermark. Marginal annotations. Fol. 1 and 113 are later added fly-leaves. On fol. 2b-3a is a table of contents for the main text. Foliation in red pencil using Arabic numerals on fol. 21a-102a (main text). This foliation is used in the table of contents fol. 2b-3a.
Inscription "584" in Arabic numerals on the upper cover and on fol. 1a.
Origin: According to a note on the margin of the end of the main text, this was copied by Muṣṭafá ibn Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad al-Ḥusaynī al-shahīr bi-ZīrakʹZādah (fol. 102a).
Quarter bound in brown leather and marbled paper. Yellow paper pastedowns. Wear.
1. Pastedown of upper cover: Uns al-nafas [short text in Ottoman Turkish on water parsley].
2. fol. 2a: [Inscriptions and notes in Arabic and Ottoman Turkish].
3. fol. 2b-3a: [Table of contents of main text].
4. fol. 3b-7b: [Notes in Ottoman Turkish on remedies (maʻjūn) and potions and drinks, such as lemon and apple syrup, etc.].
5. fol. 8a-b: Fī bayān al-awzān wa-al-makāʼīl al-mashhūrah al-mustaʻmalah fī kutub al-ṭibb wa-ghayrihā.
6. fol. 8b-11a: [Short excerpts in Ottoman Turkish on questions pertaining to medicine and remedies, some attributed to Ṣāliḥ Efendi in his Ghāyat al-bayān (= Ghāyat al-itqān by Ṣāliḥ Naṣr Allāh ibn Sallūm?)].
7. fol. 11b: [Poem in Arabic on alchemy, 25 lines].
8. fol. 12a-13b: Risālah al-Zaynīyatah fī ḥall bayt al-Qaṣīdah al-Nūnīyah.
9. fol. 13b-20a: [Several excerpts and notes in Arabic and Ottoman Turkish on questions pertaining to medicine and remedies, including a long excerpt from Shams al-maʻārif].
10. fol. 20b-102a: al-Ṭibb al-jadīd al-kimiyāʼī / [Ṣāliḥ Naṣr Allāh ibn Sallūm].
11. fol. 102b-112b: [Short excerpts and notes in Ottoman Turkish and Arabic on plants and questions pertaining to medicine and alchemy, some attributed to Jābir in his Kitāb al-Sabʻīn (fol. 106a) and to Ṣadr al-Dīn al-Qunawī (fol. 110b)].
Several ownership statements, some with seal, on fol. 2a, one dated 1107 H. [1695 or 6]. Two ownership statements in the name of Muḥammad Saʻīd and of ʻAbd al-Ḥaqq, and one seal reading "Muḥammad" on fol. 20a.
Mach, R. and E. Ormsby. Handlist (New Series), 1010, 1558