Princeton University Library Catalog
- English, Middle (1100-1500)
- [England] : [producer not identified], [between 1475 and 1500]
- 1 volume (i, 201, i leaves) : parchment, illustrations ; 25 cm
- Related name
- Title from printed catalog.
- A compilation of writings by Heinrich Seuse [Henricus Suso] (1295-1366), Walter Hilton, Peter of Blois [Petrus Blesensis] (approximately 1135-aproximaltely 1211), St. Peter Damian (1007-1072), Pseudo-Origin, Pseudo-Hugh of St. Victor, St. Benedict of Nursia (approximaltely 480-542), St. Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109), St. Anselm of Canterbury, Peter of Waltham (died after 1194), Alexander of Canterbury (active around 1120), St. Thomas Aquinas (1225?-1274), Thomas à Kempis (approximately 1380-1471), William Litchfield (died 1447?), Richard of Caister [de Caistre] (died 1420), Richard of Caister [de Caistre] (died 1420), Pseudo-Bernard of Clairvaux, John Shirwood [Sherwood] (died 1494), and a number of anonymous authors.
- Script: Bastard Anglicana by several scribes for most of the manuscript, written below the top line, but with calligraphic flourishes of ascenders extending into the upper margins. Fols. 4v-26v are written in Anglicana formata. Contemporary corrections, marginal headings, annotations, and maniculae.
- Decoration: Late English Gothic, 3rd quarter of the 15th century.
- Binding note
- England, 19th century. Bound by William Parke (1797-1876).
- Taylor MS. 22 is of unknown early provenance. There is a strong possibility that it originated in metropolitan London, since nearly a third of extant manuscripts of Hilton's Scala perfectionis in Middle English and an even larger portion of manuscripts of the Fishlake translation are associated by provenance with Sheen Priory, the Charterhouse of London, and Syon Abbey. Purchased by the Princeton University Library at a Sotheby's, London, sale on 6 December 2011 with acquisition funds endowed by Robert H. Taylor, Class of 1930. See Western and Oriental Manuscripts (London: Sotheby's, 2011), no. 45. Ac- cession no. 2012-56.
- Source acquisition
- Gift of Robert H. Taylor, 2011.
- Medieval & Renaissance manuscripts in the Princeton University Library, volume 1, pages 447-451.
- Cite as
- Taylor MS. 22, Manuscripts Division, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library.
- Other views