- Utagawa Shigetoshi, active ca. 1850s-1860s [Browse]
- Visual material
- n.d. [mid-19th c.].
- 1 item ; sheet 23.3 x 27.2 cm.
- Drawing—Japanese—19th century
- Medium: Ink and color on paper
- Artist information: Utagawa Shigetoshi was a minor student of Utagawa Hiroshige (1797-1858).
- Format: Uchiwa-e (fan print).
- Item description: The story of Urashima Tarō̄ has many versions, but the basic story is similar to a combination of Rip Van Winkle and Pandora's Box. One day the young boy Urashima saves a turtle from being tormented by lower centerl children. A few days later whi.
- Provenance: Purchased at one of three 1947 sales at Parke-Bernet or at Gimbels Department Store, New York City.
- Signed: Shigetoshi ga.
- Source acquisition
- Gift of Gillett G. Griffin in honor of Dale Roylance. Given 2008.
- Other format(s)
- Also available in an electronic version.
- Other views